As the holidays approach, time with loved ones, a break from school and/or work, and gatherings usually accompany this season. Unfortunately, increased waste and emissions occur in the background of many festivities. Additionally this year, shipping and supply delays are expected due to worker shortages and supply chain delays. This provides a perfect opportunity to shop in your own community this holiday season. When you shop local, about three times more money stays in your community, which benefits your local economy.
We’ve compiled a list of sellers and stores in the Duluth area to consider supporting this season. (Bonus: the shops in maroon are run by UMD students, faculty, and alumni!). You can also consider gifting experiences instead of items for memorable and sustainable gifts!
* = UMD students/alumni
- art by sj nielsen: watercolor artist & urban sketcher
- *Ashley Hise: Functional and Sculptural Ceramics
- Duluth Kitchen Co.: Locally owned cookware, cutlery, gadget and gourmet food store located in Duluth, MN on the beautiful shore of Lake Superior.
- Flora North: We specialize in nature inspired floral arrangements featuring MN and US grown blooms as often as possible.
- *Hucklebeary: The coolest little gift shop in Duluth Minnesota focusing on cards, paper goods, stationery and overall neat stuff.
- Indigenous First: We sell quality gifts and goods with a mission of advancing, promoting, and investing in Indigenous and diverse artists and entrepreneurs.
- Lake Superior Art Glass: Minnesota's Premier Glass Art Gallery and Studio
- *Little Leaf Goods: Handmade lasting jewelry made to be worn outside
- mediumcontrol: Screen printed apparel & goods for men, women, children and babies. Always hand printed by us in our small Lake Superior studio.
- *Stitches and Sprouts: Ecofriendly, affordable (and adorable!) alternatives to every day products.
- Studio Sweetwater: Lake Superior Inspired Jewelry, Hand Made in Duluth, MN
- *Sweet Artemisia: handmade jewelry/handmade clothing
- The Bookstore at Fitger’s: The Bookstore at Fitger’s is Duluth’s only independent bookstore. It is a full-service bookstore which has toys, candy, cards, gifts, and more.
- The Pink Hammer Shop: Wood signs & mixed media art using upcycled books
- Tin Cup Design: Translating beauty into reflective collage art
- Zenith Bookstore: “Old Favorites, New Friends, and Hidden Gems” New and used books.
- Duluth Candy Co.: Duluth Candy Co. is a locally owned and operated candy shop specializing in fresh, homemade gourmet popcorn located in the heart of downtown Duluth.
- *Duluth Coffee Company: Coffee roaster focused on intention and integrity from cultivation to cup. Offering single sourced coffee with real relationships.
- Mike & Jen’s Cocoa Mix: Mike and Jen's Cocoa Mix uses just 5 simple, high-quality ingredients. You just add water! Easy and Convenient.
LOCAL RESTAURANTS, CAFES, & BAKERIES
Considering giving gift cards to businesses that source locally.
- Amazing Grace Cafe + Grocery: Amazing Grace Cafe + Grocery offers Duluth's finest collection of locally made, small batch, artisan, organic and natural groceries.
- At Sarah’s Table Chester Creek Cafe: Farm-to-table menu with international accents, craft cocktails & more offered in a quaint setting.
- Duluth Grill: Casual, enduring eatery providing locally sourced comfort food & an extensive breakfast menu.
- *Love Creamery: Duluth's favorite ice cream shop and espresso bar. Serving handcrafted dairy and vegan ice cream flavors made fresh daily.
- New Scenic Café:This intimate cafe with partial lake views & a garden features sophisticated New American cuisine.
- Positively 3rd Street Bakery: Positively 3rd Street Bakery has been baking from scratch with organic and local ingredients since 1983.
- Duluth Trains: North Shore Scenic Railroad: Give the gift of trains!
- Duluth Folk School: Gift your loved ones classes at the folk school. Upcoming workshops include quilting, basket weaving, watercolor painting, and more!
- The Duluth Playhouse: This long-running community theater presents musicals, dramas & children's productions year-round. Upcoming shows include CLUE, FOOTLOOSE, and THE SPONGEBOB MUSICAL.
- Duluth Winter Village 2021: The Duluth Winter Village is a free, two-day festival where local small businesses sell their goods out of wooden cabins. In addition to shopping, visitors will enjoy food and beverages, campfires by the lake, live animals, carollers and more.”
- Julebyen: Julebyen (pronounced YOOL-eh-BE-en) means "Christmas Village". It is a centuries-old Scandinavian and German tradition celebrated with ethnic foods, crafts, holiday decorations, and music. This December, Knife River (a fishing village of the North Shore of Lake Superior just north of Duluth) is home to an authentic, and unique Julebyen fest.