Need an idea for your next class project, student org event, or want an opportunity to lead an initiative on campus? You've come to the right place. The Office of Sustainability has LOTS of projects in mind that would move progress forward at UMD and we need your help!
Completed Projects List (by category)
These projects are another source for ideas OR could be updated, improved, or built upon with your new ideas. Check them out! If you have a completed project to add to this list, please email it to [email protected] (all formats accepted/encouraged!).
- 2020 Valuation of Energy Efficient Investments by Duluth Landlords & Tenants by LSBE BBER and students Nathan Brand, Tommy Olafson, Matthew Hockert, and Megan Badger
- 2017 Energy Assessment of the Bagley Outdoor Classroom by Vidar Sanchez
- 2017 Duluth Shines: Spring 2017 projects
- 2017 Economic Analysis of the UMD SUN Delegation’s Solar Pavilion Design (IE 5352 Advanced Engineering Economics class)
- 2016 Greenhouse Gas Inventory ; last updated by Linda Peterson
- 2016 Solar Summit: Students’ Role in the Future of Solar at UMD
- 2016 UMD Shines: Spring 2016 student final posters ,
- 2015 Lincoln Park Shines: Spring 2015 presentations
- 2015 Feasibility of installing a solar air heater at the Natural Resources Research Institute, by Carsten Knutsen
- 2015 Feasibility of photovoltaic systems at UMD, by Jake Bray (UROP)
- 2015 Sustainability Recommendations for the Natural Resources Research Institute, by Matt Detjen
- 2015 Lighting Study at NRRI, by Matt Detjen
- 2014 Biodiesel from Used Cooking Oil? Project Presentation (slides), Final Project Report , and Appendices by Terry Anderson, Mike Baumann, Alex Fisher, Jesse Hunter and Eric Serantoni.
- 2014 Social Psychology and Energy Saving Competition in the Residence Halls by Dr. Lara LaCaille
- 2013 Feasibility of Installing Solar Panels at UMD by Sean Davey, Jacob Ricks, Sarah Kriel, Megan Powell
- 2011 Energy Consumption of Fume Hoods by Evan Engman
- 2010 Light Pollution, Safety, and Security Study by Thomas Parent
- 2020 Transportation Initiative: Carpool Lot Idea by Carolyn R., Emily N., Haakan T., Heidi S., Madelyn L., & Sam T.
- 2019 Why Students Avoid Free Public Transportation at UMD | Poster - Juliana Epstein, mentored by Dr. Amy Versnik Nowak
- 2013 Commuting emissions were re-calculated for campus staff, faculty, and students by Anna Norcutt-Preuss, student intern in Environment & Sustainability. View the Final Report and presentation.
- 2009 Sustainable Commuting: Anthropological Issues and Solutions by Anthropology Senior Seminar class
Waste & Recycling
- 2019 Sustainable UMD: DO YOUR PART- Four Year Marketing Plan - Cole Sherwin, Megan McCarty, Grace Wateland, David Voss, Riley Primus
- 2019 Waste Reduction Video (for campus announcement boards) Cole Sherwin, Megan McCarty, Grace Wateland, David Voss, Riley Primus
- 2019 Sustainability at The Wade with the Duluth Huskies by Joe Murphy
- 2018 Waste Disposal Behavior Research and Reduction Internship by Tamara Schmidt
- 2017 Waste Bin Assessment: Executive Summary & Recommendations by Dave Herrera, Juliana Epstein, Tamara Schmidt, & Wesley Sisson
- 2017 Waste Awareness Internship by Nicholas Olsen
- 2017 Trash Audit of Labovitz School of Business and Economics by Corey Pletsch, Austin Paul, and Chris Gass
- 2017 Waste Reduction and Recycling Survey by Kasey Smith & Makenzie Lamphere
- 2016 NRRI Waste Audit Report: What We Learned by Cassandra Ortberg
- 2014 Recycling as a Resource at the Natural Resources Research Institute by Eleva Potter
- 2014 Advocating Recycling and Composting in Campus Housing; Survey Results by Addy Scrimgeour and Abby Lattu
- 2013 Bathroom Sustainability: Paper Towel vs. Electric Dryers (ARC GIS)
- 2013 Compost Program Expansion (ARC GIS)
- 2011 Composting Feasibility Report by Christopher Gustafson
- 2009 Waste Management & Sustainability by Autumn Juetten, Drew Martin, and Bryanna Raiche
- 2009 The Recycling Program @ UMD: Analysis and Recommendation by Elyse Wachendorf
Buildings & Grounds
- 2017 The Effect of Room Temperature on Productivity and Performance by Haley Lenzen (UROP)
- 2016 Sustainable Sidewalks at UMD by Matthew Jansen and Robert Larson
- 2016 Stormwater Master Plan for the Natural Resources Research Institute by Micki Grover, Aaron Gustafson, Chris Gass, Tyler Untiedt, and Madeline Carlson
- 2013 Applications for Outdoor Lighting at UMD (ARC GIS) by Natalie Brown, Thomas Deschenes, and Tristan Hafner
- 2013 Stadium Apartments Removal and Site Reuse (ARC GIS)
- 2010 UMD Ice Rink replacement: what are environmental benefits?
- 2020 Sustainable Foundations in the Coffee Industry by Joe Murphy & Donovan Miles
- 2019 White Paper: Revitalizing & Sustaining the Land Lab at UMD by Alyssa Minder & Cole Grotting
- 2019 Food Waste Monitoring and Outreach in Superior Dining by Cole Grotting
- 2011 Edible Landscapes Case Study by Brian Bluhm
Have you done a project about healthy eating, sustainable agriculture, food deserts, food access/insecurity, etc? We'd love to feature it! Just email us at [email protected].
UMD Office of Sustainability is always looking for great projects that showcase or could help make our campus more sustainable. If you have any great research ideas send it to us at [email protected].
- 2019 Monitoring the UMD Stormwater Detention Pond near M1/M2 by Kendall Hill (UROP)
- 2014 What are Rain Gardens and Why Does UMD Have Them? Video produced by ChemE Intro to Environmental Engineering students
- 2013 Increasing Access to Water in Residence Halls by Sam Knuth and Judy Breuer
- 2012 Drinking Water Survey by Judy Breuer
- 2010 Water Consumption in the Sports & Health Center by Jie Li, Jessica Schiff, and Sarah Brengman
- 2009 Bottled Water Consumption at UMD from an Anthropology Senior Seminar course
Campus Sustainability Surveys & Assessments
How has UMD integrated sustainability across campus? What areas are we doing well in? What do we need to work on?
- 2020 The Impact of Sustainability on Student Engagement by Rachel Deno (UROP)
- 2017 Sustainability Knowledge, Attitudes, and Behaviors Survey (Dr. Ken Gilbertson, Dr. Lara LaCaille, preliminary results)
- 2013 Survey of UMD Faculty and Staff on Sustainability Education and Results Poster by faculty and staff
- 2012 Making Sustainable Behaviors the Norm at UMD, by Tom Beery (former UMD faculty)
- 2011 Student Participation in Sustainability Survey by Jonathon Roatch (UROP)
- 2009 Enhancing Sustainability Communication on Campus and in the Community Survey by Ashley Minnerath and Mary Beth Hennessy (staff)
Campus Sustainability Outreach
- 2020 "Single Use Plastic Waste" Infographic and Campaign Poster by Alyssa Hunter
- 2020 "Plastic Free Great Lakes" Infographic and Campaign Poster by Jade Hipp
- 2020 Sustainability Module for Bulldog Mobile App by Ashley B., Morgan C., Michael D., Sophia J., Doug R., & Zach W.
- 2020 Marketing Plan for Office of Sustainability by Corrin Thell
- 2020 Keep Duluth Clean Outreach Campaign by Stephanie Nielsen, Jaeger Moser, & Hunter Smith
- 2019 How to Talk about Climate Change - produced by UMD Graduate Students: Maria Gomez, Riley Pizza, Marissa Spear (Integrated Biosciences M.S.) and Eva Robinson, Leslie Bucar, Steve Gebhard (Master’s in Environmental Education)
- 2018 Wellbeing + Sustainability: Connecting the Dots Through Campus Outreach by Synneva Hackman
- 2011 Sustainable Living Guide
- UMD Participatory Media Lab channel
- Virtual UMD Campus Sustainability Tour (ARC GIS) Special thanks to Micaella Penning and the UMD Geospatial Analysis Center
- Interactive online map (click “on” the Sustainability theme in “See More Places”) (or video) about various campus sustainability efforts (green buildings, transportation, waste, stormwater sites, etc).